Addicted to Words

The random musings of a mom who's addicted to the written word.

Name:
Location: United States

I am a Christian, homeschooling mom of four kids - Hannah, Ben, Becca, and Michaela. I love learning and creativity, and I want to instill those passions in my children as well.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Choosing blindness?

"There is, we are aware, a philosophy that denies the infinite. There is also a philosophy classed pathologically, which denies that sun; this philosophy is called blindness. To set up a sense we lack as a source of truth, is a fine piece of blind man's assurance. And the rarity of it consists in the haughty air of superiority and compassion which is assumed towards the philosophy that sees God, by this philosophy that has to grope its way. It makes one think of a mole exclaiming, 'How they excite my pity with their prate about a sun!'" (Hugo, Les Miserables, "Cosette", Book Seventh, VI, 450)

The sun remains fixed, constant, set in the sky, the orb around which our world revolves. I do not understand the sun, what it is and how it shines. I can learn a small amount by studying its effects on the world around me, but most knowledge must come from scientists, whose study has made them experts. No one, however, can approach the sun, because it consumes anything to comes too close. If I were to examine the sun with my own eyes, I would descend into blindness, unable to see the sun any longer. Its brightness overwhelms unless its light is filtered. Would my blindness cause me to stop believing in the sun? And if I chose not to believe, would the sun cease to exist? If I acted in unbelief, would its rays still burn my unprotected skin?

Likewise, God remains unchanged by human questions and doubts, fixed as the center of our lives. I can study the world and learn about God, but assuming that I can discover Him or describe Him completely, without the filter of His Word, can lead to spiritual blindness. I can never fully understand him, because I cannot approach His glory. My pride and lack of understanding could cause me not to see at all. Would my blindness mean God is not there? Or perhaps I would prefer blindness and unbelief because I could live as if no sun existed. I would not allow its light to constrain my activities, could forget the hassle of covering my skin. Ah, but blindness cannot prevent sunburn.

What pride to assume that my disability, my weakness, means that God does not exist! I can choose this foolish blindness, or I can remove my blinders and choose the truth. I can test and examine God, but only the filter of His Word and His commands will keep me from being burned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home