Addicted to Words

The random musings of a mom who's addicted to the written word.

Name:
Location: United States

I am a Christian, homeschooling mom of four kids - Hannah, Ben, Becca, and Michaela. I love learning and creativity, and I want to instill those passions in my children as well.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Burning Words (One more post inspired by Les Miserables...)

"The delight we inspire in others has this enchanting peculiarity that, far from being diminished like every other reflection, it returns to us more radiant than ever." (Hugo, Les Miserables, "Cosette," "Book Eighth," IX, p. 495).

The souls of other people both reflect and magnify our actions. When we delight another, we receive greater delight; when we wound, we inflict greater harm on our own souls. Perhaps even Jesus expressed this truth in his most well-known prayer, "Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us."

What pain I have inflicted on my fellow souls! My tongue lashes out. Set on fire by hell itself, it singes and scorches those who get in its way. But others only touch the edges of the flames, while I am consumed. Those who are burned heal in time, when I repent and they forgive. I, however, can only heal through extensive grafting and painful reconstruction. In reality, I need a new, unscarred heart. Only the most skilled Physician can accomplish such a feat.

In contrast, when my words bring joy to another, how much greater my joy becomes! As music swells when a second voice sings harmony to the first, so joy swells when shared.

My heart longs to magnify joy, not sorrow; to spread the music of angels, not fire from hell. Not only will others benefit, but my own soul will rise in song rather than shrinking from the pain of my own burning words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home